Dragon's Mark Home
Dragon's Mark

Dragon's Mark and the RDI will be merging into one forum. If you are looking for a place to post and play follow this link: Red Dragon Inn

Expansion Packs?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Inn Open Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ehzoterik
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Expansion Packs? Reply with quote

So I'm curious. Just simply curious, and wondering if any of the people in charge can shed some light on the subject.

What are the plans for all these new "expansion packs"?

The descriptions for Mount Yasuo are very intriguing. Well thought out and fascinating. I think it would be fun to do something with them, but I'm not sure where to start.

Are there going to be any chatrooms designed for the Mount Yasuo setting? Is it going to be turned into its own affiliate site like Pharos Station? Is there eventually going to be more than one message board, a forum with several sub-boards somewhere?

How about the new Marketplace settings? Is that going to be branched off from the RDI as well? Would it be right for Teas'n Tomes to be its own focal point like the RDI is on its own?

I just have all kinds of questions and I wonder if I'm not the only one.
"The point is you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later." -- Ford Prefect. Life, the Universe, and Everything
Amaltea
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Expansion Packs? Reply with quote

Ehzoterik wrote:
Are there going to be any chatrooms designed for the Mount Yasuo setting? Is it going to be turned into its own affiliate site like Pharos Station? Is there eventually going to be more than one message board, a forum with several sub-boards somewhere?

Pharos Station is an unrelated free form role play setting. Mt. Yasuo is a direct expansion of the RDI/RhyDin setting. Currently there are no plans to offer chat rooms for Mt. Yasuo. It is intended to only be an RDI forum category.

Quote:
How about the new Marketplace settings? Is that going to be branched off from the RDI as well? Would it be right for Teas'n Tomes to be its own focal point like the RDI is on its own?

No. The Marketplace is part of the RDI as a whole. The shops described are the current forum shops -- you can find them in the forum menu under Shops. A forum category was created to accomodate players who own businesses -- and we have plenty. Also, similar to what we did for Pharos, we wanted to give the current chat rooms their own forum category.

The Teas'n Tomes room was created due to player demand who wished to have a quiet room to roleplay, rather than the busy RDI main room. It was discussed here.
Panther
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole idea of the "expansion packs" was multi-fold.... and hopefully will meet a variety of wishes we hear from players. Not each "pack" will fill each wish/desire, some will be more involved than others.

The basic goal, no matter what, is to provide a foundation for players to build upon. But we (the staff) need to recognize we have an ever changing player base... one that is slowly growing, but still has plenty of room for more growth.

Some of the things we'll add may be based on existing areas either developed by the player base in general over the years, such as the Marketplace, or based on settings that are made to try and fill a specific niche. And further, some may be based on player submitted concepts... we've already received a preliminary proposal for such an idea.

Some of it is being done to help guide the organization of the forums... while the chat room continues to draw nice crowds, a significant portion of our traffic continues to be in the forums. We'll still have the "general purpose" areas in Dreamweaver's Lair, But with the EPack design, we can easily group folders together based on a specific theme.

Some of these will have chat rooms associated with them such as Teas'n Tomes being part of the Marketplace... some will not... at least to start. Part of it is and will be based on player interest. TnT came about because of the feedback from players wanting a quiet setting to play in, and it fit well with the Marketplace expansion, almost by as much coincidence as design. Each expansion pack will be looked at individually and balanced against overall concerns such as system resources and what not.

"Even the maggot can serve a purpose in the right circumstance... "
Panther - Overseer of the madhouse that is the Red Dragon Inn.
Tales of the Cat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kairee
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially think the "what not"s need to be handled with due care. What nots are often overlooked and then they get all cranky and whiney. Nothing worse that a cranky and whiney "Not"

Thank you, Panther, for remembering the little What-not.

Now, what to do with the persnickery "So forth" and its cousin "So on"?

"With Great Power comes Great Boredom."
Ehzoterik
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kairee, you just made me lol a lot. XD

In any case, thank you for answering those questions. Though I must confess I was hoping for something a little less professional. (Note: I still need to follow that link Amaltea provided and read the content there.)

I guess I was kind of wondering what the player base was thinking about it all. I think it' would be neat, for instance, for there to be rooms and such for the Mount Yasuo setting. Of course, I understand that takes a lot of time and effort and programming elbow grease.

I like seeing Teas'n Tomes in the room list. And the (what's that word? anagram? TnT) shortened version of the name makes me giggle. Good choice and great suggestion for-- I also forget who made the suggestion! Oi!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know I read these responses, am hoping for more, and may have something more coherent to say later. Thank you!
"The point is you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later." -- Ford Prefect. Life, the Universe, and Everything
Amaltea
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehzoterik wrote:
I think it' would be neat, for instance, for there to be rooms and such for the Mount Yasuo setting. Of course, I understand that takes a lot of time and effort and programming elbow grease.

I would like to see that too, but we have to see how MtY grows and if the interest is there.
Wil Savage
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaltea wrote:
Ehzoterik wrote:
I think it' would be neat, for instance, for there to be rooms and such for the Mount Yasuo setting. Of course, I understand that takes a lot of time and effort and programming elbow grease.

I would like to see that too, but we have to see how MtY grows and if the interest is there.

From what I've seen, the player base is appreciating the expansion packs and the work done to make them available.

Interest in all these areas will grow slowly. It seems to take at least a year to have an area mature, so we need to not make quick judgments regarding success. Pharos Station is now doing VERY well, but I remember how after the original "newness" wore off, it looked like there was little interest. Now the player base has grown and is very active. I suspect a similar pattern for the expansion packs.

The Admins are doing a great job at making the possibility of new role play experiences available to us.

Kudos!
Wil
Alex Ravenlock
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree in that the general audience appears to be appreciating the work, and enjoying what has been put down onto the table for people to interact with.

I know that, I for one, would love to partake and get involved with the setting. At the same time, of course, I'm holding off making any kind of post or general 'exploration' of the general region. At least until I can see how others approach it, and can get a general feeling so as to not 'tromp' over all the work that has gone into making it a reality for us players.

Still, all the same, awesome work! =)
Panther
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to be... reserved... in adding new rooms. There's a bit of a balancing act to consider.

If we have too many rooms, people get too spread out, and folks have trouble finding people to play with.

Course, as we continue to grow overall, and have more people using the chat.. then yes... we'll add more rooms.

TnT was planned to be added .. and then it just happened to fit well with the Marketplace expansion pack, so we put off releasing the MP stuff until we had the chat room name picked and ready to go and did them as a package of sorts.

MtY, I think, will probably have a chat room eventually... if things grow to the potential we see it having... but the players I think need to flesh things out a bit more to help grow the overall setting before a chat setting can be nailed down that would fit not just the needs of the chat setup in general, but the needs/wants of those actively playing in the MtY setting.

I have a major headache I'm fighting off, so I hope that made sense :>

"Even the maggot can serve a purpose in the right circumstance... "
Panther - Overseer of the madhouse that is the Red Dragon Inn.
Tales of the Cat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Inn Open Discussions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: