Dragon's Mark Home
Dragon's Mark

Dragon's Mark and the RDI will be merging into one forum. If you are looking for a place to post and play follow this link: Red Dragon Inn

Thought-sniping and OOC in the RDI

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> The Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epsilon Greater Than
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Thought-sniping and OOC in the RDI Reply with quote

Hey there, guys. I am generally not one to complain or kick up a fuss or anything, but I've noticed an increasing trend in the RDI that's starting to worry me, and I wanted to talk about it. This is more of a 'rant' on my part(though I will do my best to be polite!) and you can all discuss afterwards.

I have noticed a rather increased amount of thought-sniping in the RDI lately and, worst, flat out OOC. I understand that 'thought-sniping' can e a bit of a vague term that could be argued over, so here is my definition:

Thought-sniping: any written post that is not dialogue(though often is often written as dialogue) that cannot be responded to, played with, or interacted with in any way, that is often rude, confrontational, or with the intention of being provocative.

I have been seeing a lot of this, lately, and it's really bothering me. I find it very un-sportsmanlike, as it's basically taking cheap shots at characters who then, in turn, cannot defend themselves, or RP with those comments as they're not actions that can be played off of.

I am not going to point fingers nor names, but there are a several people here that do it, and do it frequently. People will actually gang up and bully others with thought-sniping, and I find that rather deplorable, personally.

Furthermore, I have also noticed an increase of OOC chatter, both out of bracket and even in bracket going on in the RDI, and this annoys me as well. We have a built-in IM feature here at the RDI, and I find myself often baffled as to why people don't use it. If you're going AFK, or BRB, there's even tags for that, so I see no point or need in using (brb) or (afk) in the middle of a chat room. There are even a few who've gone so far as to put commentary about their muns in the middle of their RP.

And maybe it's just me, maybe I'm the only one annoyed by this, but I feel that it's unnecessary, and quite distracting when I'm in the middle of a scene and see not one, not two, but three comments made in the middle of the room in ()'s that's obviously OOC.

I don't like it, I don't feel that it's necessary, and it's distracting. If it were from people who I knew were new to RDI/RPing, that would be one thing - I'd have no issues IMing them and politely saying, "Smile Hey there! This is a non-OOC RP chatroom, so please try to keep the OOC chatter to IMs."

But this is coming from people who've been here quite some time, who know better. The increase in 'commentary' coming in as...vaguely veiled RP is just as bad. People are all but(in my opinion) holding OOC conversations masked as 'RP comments(which, in all fairness, also constitutes as thought-sniping, because it can't be interacted with except for MORE OOC commentary!). Making a cute comment or joke here and there is one thing. When this is happening so frequently that the comments are more prevalent than the actual dialogue or actions of RP? I personally see that as a problem.

Neither of these things, whether it's thought-sniping or OOC chatter in the chatroom, are things that I came here to participate with. I think that it's becoming a problem. This is simply my opinion, and I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I really, really needed to get this out.
Linda Rimminston
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'm one to generally get into these kinds of posts... but I do find this to be concerning.

I would not say you're the only one who has found thought-sniping bothersome or annoying. I've watched a lot of people play and how they treated others. It is sad to see how long the bullying and grouping up on other people to run them off has been going. There has even been people who quit RDI (or quit live-chat) because they got sick of this behavior. These people even take OOC personal problems and disguise it as random IC hate. Even if the victim hasn't done anything to these people, they will still straight out go after people because they don't like a certain type of role-play they do or they didn't like something that was done in a role-play in a forum or some other ridiculous reason. It's doing more harm than good to this community. I've seen them laugh about it in the lobby in the past. Apparently, bullying is amusing for them and makes them feel superior.

Unfortunately, some of these groups are some of the same people with multiple names trying to make it look like it's multiple people teasing someone and not wanting them around so that they will look bigger and tougher. They will even barge into other peoples role-plays and intentionally harass and try to disturb the players (even in another room). I've seen it done several times before in the past here. It is no wonder why some groups on this site become so seclusive and don't want many people involved. It's not that some of these more seclusive groups don't like new people or anything, but that they don't want to deal with unexpected trouble makers and they become very defensive because they don't want OOC problems erupting all the sudden.

Fortunately, there is always the ignore-button which is always helpful. Anytime I noticed someone thought-sniping or something close to it and intentionally trying to bug people with unnecessary OOC problems disguised as IC problems, I ignored them and have my character move on. What is unfortunate is new people will come here and see people doing these rude things and then they won't bother staying.
Natolii
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having recently been the target of OOC blending in the Inn, I can whole heartedly agree with the concepts here.

What is the point of latching onto a word in a profile and then treating a new character(s) as if they do not belong or would welcome being harassed or attacked...

New Characters, folks, not new players. But because someone could not separate OOC from IC they brought it into the chat room and started spreading OOC knowledge as if it was IC (Ironic in that I specifically spoke this this player on Facebook about the family)... and all the new characters did was walk into the inn tired and covered in road dust...

They did not come in and start attacking anyone. They came in looking for a place to gather their bearing and find the missing family members.

One character started giving nasty looks. One Character dropped onto the family's table. One Character gives a *friendly* yet very insulting warning... three separate players.

All on the basis of OOC blending...
A shotgun rings; the wind is calling my name
Fields of gold beneath a blood red sky
~ Mercenary Man, Firewind
Dora Lynch
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

Location: Lives in an Estate owned by Tara; stays in the RDI , at times.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought remarks, good or bad, ought to be replaced by IC acted out facial expressions or body movements that express the fellings of the character.

There is so much a person can find to RP, reacting to clues to what another thinks, than from statements in thought which are not expressed.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> The Round Table All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: