Dragon's Mark Home
Dragon's Mark

Dragon's Mark and the RDI will be merging into one forum. If you are looking for a place to post and play follow this link: Red Dragon Inn

New Chat Testing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Dragon's Mark Open Discussions & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amaltea
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought of using the history window for the back command crossed my mind. I guess at this point Adam would have to look at the code and see what's there.

The /me command doesn't actually look like an action, it currently works like this:

Amaltea: sneezes...

I want it to look like this instead:

Amaltea sneezes.

BTW, is ProChat out of business? Their site has been down for almost a week.
Kalamere
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect the history window might be the easier / least intrussive way to go.

For the /me command change, look in js/message.js and you just need to chage:

Code:

// IRC action
   if(ircCommand[0] == '/me')
   {
      message  = " " + message.slice(ircCommand[0].length+1) + " ...";

iRC = '1';
   }

To
Code:

// IRC action
   if(ircCommand[0] == '/me')
   {
      message  = " " + message.slice(ircCommand[0].length+1) + ".";

iRC = '1';
   }

Not sure how to get rid of the colon after the user's name though. Hmm

And, yeah, I noticed earlier their website wasn't responding. Not sure what the state of the business is. That's obviously not a good sign though =)

eta:
Doesn't look like getting rid of the : after the name on a /me action would be easy to do. I have an older version of the code, so there will be differences, but it doesn't appear to store the fact it was an IRC type command in the DB - it just does the above noted change to your message text and then stores it like any other chat message, so uses the default display parameters when it comes back to the chat screen. Meaning - to nuke the colon you'd have to store the message type somehow - either creating a new column in the DB or manipulating one of the existing ones (eg: sfx) or some key maybe in the message itself that you strip back out. Doable, but possibly not worth the effort?
Kalamere
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem to have encountered a bit of a bug.

When clicking on another user and selecting view profile, it takes me to my own profile instead of the other person's.
Amaltea
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalamere wrote:
Seem to have encountered a bit of a bug.

When clicking on another user and selecting view profile, it takes me to my own profile instead of the other person's.

Yeah, I don't think that that's fully integrated.

I'll have Adam take a look at what you posted. Thanks!
Brohkun
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like the option where you could clarify where your character was (at the bar, at booth, at hearth, etc). Those were helpful for me in a couple of situations. Granted, not everyone used them and I would occasionally forget to "update" mine. But upon entering, it did help to see who all was sitting at the bar without having to read 3-4 pages and keep up with the current activity. It also kept players from having to periodically restate where their char was for the benefit of others.

It's a little more awkward to put a status up and the only options are BRB, Away and Here. I liked how readily available that was in the older chat.

If it could be something like "inside" or "outside" so that someone would know if their char would have seen/heard something? It's just been something I've found helpful, especially in large, busy events with a lot of characters and the room text moving rapidly.
Amaltea
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those will be added later. Just haven't got around to doing that yet.
LauriEmpress
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed that I have to have multiple web browsers open to have more than one screen name in the chat rooms at a time. A lot of my characters interact with one another, and have similar groups of friends. I often find myself playing at least two different characters at one time.

With the current chat that is no harder than starting a new window, and signing in. The way things stand now with the new chat, I have to start an entirely new browser, not even starting a separate window with the same browser worked.

I do have a few browsers I can use, but it is still a tad irritating. Otherwise it seems all right so far. If I find any other issues, I'll be glad to say something.

Lauri
Amaltea
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new chat is a completely different set of code from the current chat, so yes, they will work different. Unfortunately, there is no way to get around that problem. As you and many others found out, the solution is using different browsers.
FioHelston
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: New Chat Reply with quote

I made a bunch of comments when I read the announcement, but I actually just said them in the chat. I don't remember it all now, but there was a lo that was in this string. Sorry!
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings.
I was seriously bummed when I found out the prospective new chat was limited to one occasion per browser because I rarely use anything BUT one browser. But I decided to check out options, from my usual source for freeware.... NoNags.Com... And I found that on their page listing freeware "Web Browsers" they have 15 pieces of software to choose from, and 10 of those scored a rating of 6 out of 6 cool ducks. The other 5 they chose to list only scored 5 out of 6. I don't know if any one else has anything bad to say about them as a source of virus and malware free (still, double and triple check yourself to be safe!!) software, but "I" have never found a problem with any software I've gotten from them. So now.... Needing multiple browsers won't be the problem I thought it would be for me.

Andu-Mun's 2 wooden pennies.
BW
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few test notes:

After some quick testing, I had one name repeatedly ignore and un-ignore another, as I've heard people do, and it had no effect. Neither name had any slowness/log, nor was there any locking up.

So this seems to remove the problem with both using Ignore, and the problem of having it used against people as a harassment tactic. Further testing is ongoing.

The more people who want to test this, the better.
DemiBob
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the multiple browsers:

I can't test right now, but I'd bet you can just use incognito mode in any major browser and login multiple times. Not as nice as having them in tabs, but at least you're not installing unneeded software.
Sira
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested Bob's theory and it works fine. So to use multiple log ins with the new chat all you need to do is start and incognito or "private window" and it will allow you.

So no need to download multiple browsers!

edit: So tested with firefox and chrome, you can only get two unique log ins per browser. That makes 4 log ins, which if you really want/need more than that... I guess you can still DL more browsers.
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

Location: Lives in an Estate owned by Tara; stays in the RDI , at times.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tired it and I like it, so far. I wish I had the chance to test it with a few others in the chat at the same time.

I have Edge and the fonts changed easily, at this time. The font colors will be selected to go with the backgroung you pick, right?

As I often RP more than one character at a time, will this be possible with the new system? (when I had 2 computers, I'd play 4 at a time).

Very clear and easy to work with. I intend to drag someone, anyone here and see how it works with multiple characters.

Good old "One character is not enough" Dora
Sira
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora Lynch wrote:
I tired it and I like it, so far. I wish I had the chance to test it with a few others in the chat at the same time.

I have Edge and the fonts changed easily, at this time. The font colors will be selected to go with the backgroung you pick, right?

As I often RP more than one character at a time, will this be possible with the new system? (when I had 2 computers, I'd play 4 at a time).

Very clear and easy to work with. I intend to drag someone, anyone here and see how it works with multiple characters.

Good old "One character is not enough" Dora
I tested this and you can get two characters online using the same browser using incognito/private mode. You cannot get more than that per browser. So you can log in with 2 usernames on chrome, 2 with firefox, 2 with internet explorer, etc.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Dragon's Mark Open Discussions & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: