Dragon's Mark Home
Dragon's Mark

Dragon's Mark and the RDI will be merging into one forum. If you are looking for a place to post and play follow this link: Red Dragon Inn

When making a character...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> The Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracina Hemdagg wrote:

This almost seems accusatory in a blanket manner. Because I actually rarely do something disruptive (last night an exception that actually worked quite satisfactorily, so there apparently is a time and place for random events—i.e. town meetings where politicians are saying something important). But usually I try to insert myself into other RPs with visual cues such as said here:

JewellRavenlock wrote:

When I brought Jewell back two years ago, I had a very difficult time interacting with her in the room. I felt invisible. I realized I had to be more interactive. I had to:
    1) Start responding to IC-action invitations to play. Say for example a character spills a drink or trips; that is an invitation to the room to interact with that person! That person is looking for someone to respond to that action, so it might as well be me Smile
    2) I had to extend invitations for people to interact with me. This doesn't mean you have to have your character just walk up to people and start talking to them. I know that doesn't work for plenty of people if the characters are not outgoing. What you can do, though, is throw little hooks out into play. Have your character react to something someone else is saying/doing (like snorting or rolling your eyes if someone says something dumb) or act in such a way that invites play (knocking something over, jumping because you see a spider).

It is a little worrisome how often such cues of mine go unacknowledged in the room these days.

The simple fact is that I have seen several times over the years where people have worked hard to put together events where other players decided to insert somewhat or completely inappropriate scenes into it. A murder openly played out in the midst of a Beltane event and the releasing of a deadly virus at a Founder's Day celebration come to mind. That is what I was referring to as the difference between party starting and party crashing. The RDI has pretty much been anything, within posted guidelines, goes.

As I said, it all boils down to courtesy. Just because we as players can do something does mean we always should.

------------------------------

I seem to remember when Jewell was first brought back into play that she was in a sort of disguise. Tara let the cat out of the bag as to her true identity. That was fun to watch!
JewellRavenlock
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:

I seem to remember when Jewell was first brought back into play that she was in a sort of disguise. Tara let the cat out of the bag as to her true identity. That was fun to watch!

That will forever go down as one of my favorite scenes of all time!

I did have her in disguise at first, and I tried to be very interactive with the room. It was hard, but it does work! Not all the time but it does!
Dracina Hemdagg
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:

The simple fact is that I have seen several times over the years where people have worked hard to put together events where other players decided to insert somewhat or completely inappropriate scenes into it. A murder openly played out in the midst of a Beltane event and the releasing of a deadly virus at a Founder's Day celebration come to mind. That is what I was referring to as the difference between party starting and party crashing. The RDI has pretty much been anything, within posted guidelines, goes.

As I said, it all boils down to courtesy. Just because we as players can do something does mean we always should.

Point acknowledged, but not really the issue being addressed. Thus you're sounding very accusatory in a blanket statement.

As Kuori stated, there are certain characters that just walk right into one of the rooms and suddenly everything stops and everyone crowds around them. Dracina herself used to be like that once upon a time, long, long ago.

Now I can barely get other people to wave back at my characters. Confused
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dracina Hemdagg"]
PrlUnicorn wrote:

As Kuori stated, there are certain characters that just walk right into one of the rooms and suddenly everything stops and everyone crowds around them. Dracina herself used to be like that once upon a time, long, long ago.

Now I can barely get other people to wave back at my characters. Confused

I think I covered that as did Jewell when each of us said that sometimes characters need to be reestablished. This is especially true after long absences.

The other night, I noticed a few characters attempting to interact with Dracina. The Stew was spitting at her, it's not exactly a conversationalist. :/
JewellRavenlock
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:

The other night, I noticed a few characters attempting to interact with Dracina. The Stew was spitting at her, it's not exactly a conversationalist. :/

I know I had a lot of trouble for a while (still do at times) keeping up with the room well enough to always be lookingfor attempts at interaction towards me OR open actions that anyone was welcome to jump in on. Even something as simple as a character sneezing can be an opening to jump in on interaction:

"Oh do you need a tissue?"

"Ew! Keep your germs to yourself!"
Dracina Hemdagg
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:

First time I ever encountered that character too....
LdyBelial
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:

Some time ago, I believe it was Lanette (the player of Ldy Belial) that referred to taking the temperature of the play in progress in a room before initiating a scene. I don't recall her exact words. As with most things in FFRP, it boils down to courtesy.

Wow, thanks for the mention, Collie Player!

Yes, I do talk about taking the temperature of the room before trying to bring a scene into it. I was specifically talking about villains looking to start trouble, i.e. in-room action/combat that could be considered disruptive to the current tone of play - which most of us know tends to be domestic. However I see how it could work in any given situation as well.

And, yes, everything about FFRP should be based on courtesy and consideration - both primary aspects of Respect.

The direction this thread has taken reminds me of the age old "Spotlight" argument. Who gets attention and why? Is it the player? The character? Popularity? Time played? Why do some players get the attention while others struggle?

It's all of the above. Sometimes it's a bit of this and a bit of that but at the end of day it's really all about familiarity. If you want a long term standing in the community then the community needs to feel like they know you. How? Interactions. If you interact with many they will interact with you. I can say this because it's true and it works. The more you interact with others in a respectful and considerate way the more they will want to interact back. You will be remembered with a smile because you included them. A good standing in the community is better then the passing fancy of fickle popularity.

The reality is there are very few shortcuts. Every now and again, a player will pop up and reach phenomenal popularity IC in what feels like seconds after their creation but that doesn't last. Popularity like trends is fleeting and fickle, especially in FFRP. It turns on the tide. You can't trust it. Besides - many of the older players mentioned in this thread as "Party Starters" got that way not so much because of popularity but rather from familiarity. They have been around a long time, many players know them, they have played with most of us.

Here's the deal... no one makes a "Party Starter" out the gate. Sure, yeah, you can try to design a character to be that way but... be prepared to deal if/when it fails. We all have to work at it. Occasionally we will get "Lightening in a bottle" but it is rare and cannot be relied upon to happen every time we create a new character or go into the IC rooms.

Here's my advice: Don't go into this thinking you are going to sweep over the population (consisting of some long time and often jaded players) with your awesome. Sure, it could happen... but don't bank on it. Popularity may look awesome to those standing outside thinking they want it, but once you have it? It can corrupt and destroy. I can list the players I have watched fall from becoming popular and not knowing how to deal with it. Or rather... dealing poorly with it. Popularity shouldn't be anyone's goal instead let it be a side-effect, an afterthought, something that happened because you were having fun.

Here's the deal, you want to be Brian, Jewel, ect? Then do what they did. Play. Go into the rooms, be interactive with everyone, not just your current clique, and Have Fun! You having fun and including others can be the biggest draw of all because at the end of the day we all wanna have fun.

Oh, do keep in mind that sometimes... all that hard work we put in things, if we don't keep it up it too will be lost. What am I saying? Our community is kind of like the tides - it changes and shifts - it is in an ever constant flux. People come and go. If you haven't been in the rooms playing for long periods at a time you can't expect everyone to remember you and treat you the same way you once were treated. Sometimes we have to work our way back. (I do believe this has already been said several times in this thread... but it is worth mentioning again. We can't rest on our laurels, because sometimes the new people just don't care about the awesome we once used to bring...) Yeah, sure FFRP and the people in it have changed over the years - (that's a much bigger conversation best left for another thread, I think.) It's life. Adaptation is the best tool for such situations. If you did it once with a little effort you can do it again!

Don't know how to interact? Need help? Or just want a better understanding of FFRP? I have a slew of advice for FFRP players on my blog - Lan's Soapbox - and a FFRP archive that spans many years of FFRP and Rhy'Din evolution on Evilplottersink.com - most of what I have talked about over my years in FFRP can be found at both.

Thanks again Collie Player for the mention!!!

As always - Merry Gaming All!
Lan
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LdyBelial wrote:
PrlUnicorn wrote:

Some time ago, I believe it was Lanette (the player of Ldy Belial) that referred to taking the temperature of the play in progress in a room before initiating a scene. I don't recall her exact words. As with most things in FFRP, it boils down to courtesy.

Wow, thanks for the mention, Collie Player!

Yes, I do talk about taking the temperature of the room before trying to bring a scene into it. I was specifically talking about villains looking to start trouble, i.e. in-room action/combat that could be considered disruptive to the current tone of play - which most of us know tends to be domestic. However I see how it could work in any given situation as well.

You're welcome, Lan!

I've quoted that portion of your post in particular because it was noted that Dracina is a villian/big bad in the Scathachian SL.

Dracina Hemdagg wrote:
PrlUnicorn wrote:

Isn't that a bit of shoe on the other foot situation to what was mentioned earlier? How many characters/players that have never encountered Dracina before might be trying to get a feel for the character before jumping in?
Dracina Hemdagg
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:
Dracina Hemdagg wrote:
t;]
PrlUnicorn wrote:

Isn't that a bit of shoe on the other foot situation to what was mentioned earlier? How many characters/players that have never encountered Dracina before might be trying to get a feel for the character before jumping in?

A difficult question to answer considering players can have multiple characters on this site, nevermind that there does appear to be a regular population that I recognize through my on and off forays into the room. And people clearly read the boards. Certainly food for thought, though.

Just wish I didn't feel like I "lost" something.
Jonathan Granger
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has probably already been said, but as a long-time player (who hardly ever gets out in public anymore), all I can say is keep trying. If you keep showing up and interacting, people will start to notice and interact with you. As has been said, the best way to get interaction is to interact, even if it's just silly stuff.

I recall once many years ago when I, too, was frustrated in the room one night, and the character I was playing at the time just blurted out, "Do I smell or something?" Unexpectedly, that simple remark resulted in some pretty awesome RP, which turned into some pretty awesome OOC friendships, as well.

So, hang in there and keep trying! It will happen! Smile
WillSomnia
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

As far as creation goes... there was no thought involved. Way back in high school I pretty much made myself, with a few "powers" sinve it seemed like everyone had them, as a character to test the waters (AOL). For some reason it worked, so I started to change him to make him more setting-appropriate. After a 10-year absence I discovered the current RDI. Tested the waters again, just wrote in a backstory to cover the gap... seemed to work okay.

I felt like Will was invisible for a while, though I'm sure my RL schedule doesn't help. Getting into the gubernatorial race, knowing fully well he wouldn't win, still helped to kickstart some good RP. I just needed to jump into the deep end.
Dora Lynch
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

Location: Lives in an Estate owned by Tara; stays in the RDI , at times.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I used to just begin with a name and test RP it with various descriptions and let it bloom alive online. Some were tailored to fit their role in a RP story while others found IC friends and went from there.

In the last three years, any RP for a character has become almost nonexistent for me.

Ever since I have had my characters in the RDI here, no matter what I have tried, the one time I had a chance to try and to start to RP a story to be written here, it fizzled at the beginning.

Back in the old AOL chat room, no one ever cared who was typing these characters and I made a real effort to keep it IC, as possible.

But then, if one looks at a profile and sees the writer has been in this RDI for a long while, as I have been, it goes without saying this writer has not only grown up online but aged here.

I do not have this problem when I write for myself, however, so I still enjoy making new characters. etc.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> The Round Table All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: