Dragon's Mark Home
Dragon's Mark

Dragon's Mark and the RDI will be merging into one forum. If you are looking for a place to post and play follow this link: Red Dragon Inn

Since when...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Inn Open Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zonker
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Since when...? Reply with quote

I wanted to address this here rather than as part of the Pharos thread that has lead me to ask the question. The issue was addressed there to some degree but may have gotten lost since it was not the main point of that discussion.

Someone wrote: Spacers are not welcome in the RDI.

1) Since when?
Please note that this is not meant as a leading or baiting question. I am generally interested in hearing folks who have come to this conclusion share experiences that have lead them to it. The RDI was always meant to be cross-genre. I was unaware that more than a small minority defined the setting so narrowly.

2) I also ask those who do feel spacers are not appropriate in the RDI to speak up. Why do you think so?
I suspect that some may take their cue from literature (etc), where fantasy in more strictly defined. Other than that, I am generally at a loss to understand the reasoning.

Perhaps folks should stop thinking of the RDI as a fantasy setting and start using terms like speculative or mixed-genre?

To quote the Blues Brothers (et al): "Whatcha got to say, baaaaaaaaaaaaa-by!"
Tera Destre
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Zonker!

To answer that question the RDI has always been a mixed cross-gender role-playing place. It even states in the setting that it is such a place.

Quote:
And while it may seem a charming, and rustic place to quaff an ale or two, the Red Dragon Inn is much more, it is the Center of the Multiverse. All the planes of time and space meet in the Nexus at the Red Dragon Inn. It is only at this spot that a Roman centurion of old Earth can meet and fall in love with a cybernetic girl from Arabrab. It is only here that a cowboy can find himself in league with a paladin. One never knows what will happen at the Red Dragon Inn and only time well spent there will reveal its many secrets and lead you on paths of adventure you never thought possible.

I do realize that many think of the RDI in terms of medieval/fantasy role-play but that is not all that the RDI was meant to encompass. The nexus and being at the center of the multi-verse allows for any and all types of characters to mix and mingle there freely and to be welcome in the RDI.

This is not to say that groups with set stories must acknowledge a character type that would blow their SL out of the water. Far from it. Everyone has a right to their own version of reality as they see it in Rhydin.

This is meant to point out that Spacer types have always been welcome in the RDI as a place for them to play if they wanted to and to have their tech gadgets and toys right along with them that their characters would normally have and use in their everyday lives.

I used to have a picture that I absolutely loved it said. "RhyDin All Things Are Possible" I still believe that in RhyDin all things are possible including a Space Pirate sitting down for a drink with a Fairy. Or a Cyborg chatting with a Dragon.

Des
Toby
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

Location: The Manor, with Tabitha, Maurin, Reinette, Selene - and little Keith. And all their pets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by and large, it is.

I won't go into detail, simply because I see no need to name names and cause drama. But though there are folk who're very accepting of all genres, and you all know who you are..

There are a lot of times (and sadly, more in the past year than EVER I've experienced in all my time playing in RDI), however, when one runs more and more into the 'fantasy only' mindset. It is to the point where I barely play Toby in the RDI anymore.

Oh, make NO mistake. There are a lot of good people who don't give a flying bit that Toby's a spacer, and they all know who they are. But I have had too many instances where the mere fact of what my character is makes him unwelcome, that I'm fairly disgusted with the entire thing.

People imply that spacers have high tech that makes things 'too easy'... BULL! You show me a high-level wizard that can't be just as big a Deus Ex Machina as any spacer that ever lived!

No, don't EVER throw that excuse at me (and many have.) I don't really care how much tech a character has, or high level magic, at the end of the day it comes down to the PLAYER and how subtle they're capable of being.

But that, I see, is a double-standard. Overpowered magicians, wizards, vampires, godlings and whatnot are fine.. but toss in a fairly average guy who has a blaster and a ship, and LOOK OUT!

Bah.

Addendum: I have played in the RDI since 1993, and in Star's End while it existed, since its inception. So I have, I feel, a pretty good range of experiences with which to contrast the current state of things.
Wil Savage
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col. Wil Savage is a spacer and I've never had any problems with him transporting into the RDI with a blaster strapped to his leg. People seemed to have accepted him just fine.

Of course, I've always been careful of the mix of genres, and never had him actually use the blaster in there "for fear of people in the background" or just not wanting to blow a 10' diameter hole in Panther's wall. I'm sure Toby has been just as sensitive to the mixing of genres, for he's a good player.

I had Savage in the RDI simply because there wasn't anywhere else to play. Now that Pharos Station is up and running, I've moved his story there and the Wil Savage in the RDI is not the same as the one in Pharos Station.

I've also been in the RDI since 1993 and played in the SEB and RRS. To be honest, I like Pharos Station better than all of them, and it's probably because it tries to stay true to its genre and in a completely different universe than the RDI.

Wil
Maerissa LaeAnna Drakonis
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited for content

Last edited by Maerissa LaeAnna Drakonis on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Natolii
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems come in when a group of players freeze out others and make them feel unwelcome, as in Emerson's case.

It is not *stated* policy, but you do have cliques that will freeze people out if they don't like the way they play, don't like the character or even only want their friends involved.

I've run into this scenario far too much over my years of playing (about 10ish now) that it gets really old. Especially here...

It's part of the reason I tend not to hang in the inn. I get tired of sitting there and being pushed off to the side. My characters can be approached, but I do not go out of my way with one and get tired of trying with another.

It's cliques, not policy.
A shotgun rings; the wind is calling my name
Fields of gold beneath a blood red sky
~ Mercenary Man, Firewind
Firebreath
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally see no problem with it and fail to see why it spazzes people.. Shad doesn't use technology all that much, her society never had it. Thus she reacted accordingly when she saw one of her friends with a thing he called a "PSP" She was clueless, and the object was foreign. It was a fun moment for both of us. She thought it was gonna eat her!

I find that kind of scene fun to play out, and funny to watch to I'd bet.
Is not what we have, it's what we believe
Alex Ravenlock
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacers not welcome in the RDI? Since when?

I know I'm asking the same question as you are.. but I remember reading about how a paladin can come across a galactic pirate, or some nonsense like that.

I think many grew up with the impression that the RDI was a dimension between dimensions for many to play, no matter what they are, or where they're from.

If anyone says otherwise, they're, in short, a tool.

This follows the whole thing when people were complaining because there were anime people on the site, and they bunched their panties up over it.

I don't think there's a typical genre that isn't welcomed? I haven't seen it.. at least from the big men upstairs. It's all the players that shun the virtual society, if a new one crops up.

Play what you like, how you like. If people aren't responding to it, that's their problem. Least we can see colored sides.
Natolii
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have to wonder if the same people that complained about Anime are complaining about Spacers?

I'm thinking that it's people that don't want their cliques disturbed...
A shotgun rings; the wind is calling my name
Fields of gold beneath a blood red sky
~ Mercenary Man, Firewind
Marcail Lunaliel
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably goes without saying, but I just wanted to make note of it in case. Sometimes it is the character that has an issue with another character, not the player. So, a knight might not even acknowledge a spacer because he considers him "bizarre" or "riffraff." That's the knight as a character having the prejudice, not the person behind the knight. Could be the player behind the knight is going "Cool, I gotta create a character that can interact with him (or her)!"

Like I said, I hope that sorta goes without saying, but it is always good to keep in mind when facing that kind of reaction in the room.
Chaos
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacers Rock....

I like the variety it brings to the game I dont see why other people can not seem to accept it. They can accept a vampiric angel or something on that order...but not a space guy WTF!!

Keep em coming. They make the game interesting
Cailet
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After catching a discussion in the lobby yesterday this topic really started to bother me. The theme of the lobby talk seemed to be a lot of complaining that the "modern" characters were pushing the fantasy characters out of the RDI.

I play a few modern characters from time to time. I'd like to know, Where do you (not so generic you, directed at the people unhappy about spacers and modern charcaters ) Think the modern characters and spacers should play?

And Why is it alright for a character to be magical and godly powerful have all sorts of ideas that aren't traditionally fantasy , but its considered annoying when a character has a cell phone and a good explanation of how and why it's working in rhydin?

I was always under the impression that the RDI was mixed genre, and that any character was welcomed there. But I have to say, if you want more "Fantasy" in the mix.. Play more fantasy. Don't complain about those who don't.

(Ok so this was a little rantish but I did wait and think about it before posting)
Lydia Loran
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of the participants of the discussion, I don't think the purpose of it was to put anyone down or make anyone feel unwelcome. At any point, if you felt this, or had an opinion to share, even if it was on the other side of the fence, you were more than welcome to do so then. I know I certainly wouldn't have bitten. Smile

Me personally? I do like the mixed genre. I might be a bit more inclined towards fantasy, and I might prefer fantasy over modern, but that's just.. personal preference? (Tis why the majority, if not all of my characters, are fantasy) There are many people who play more modern characters that I really do enjoy playing with. It's one reason I'd be opposed to like.. a room dedicated to the Star's End or.. any room meant for the 'moderners' (which was brought up). It feels like that'd just make a bigger division than there already is.

To my knowledge the RDI has always been mixed genre, but before it was more inclined toward fantasy. There are people who liked when it was more inclined toward fantasy, myself included. But? I would never, ever, tell or expect the modern characters or spacers to go play somewhere else. I love fantasy, but I also love variety. A purity of either/or in the RDI setting just.. doesn't appeal to me. At all.

My main, Lydia, has fantasy roots, but has embraced more modern things. To a degree. I mean.. she'd never ever get in a car or use a phone. Both these items scare her. And cars don't mesh with my personal view of Rhydin. Cars mean gas stations, and pollution and.. the way I envision the streets, cars simply wouldn't work. I'd not tell someone "OMG YOU CAN'T PLAY THAT" though, even if on some level it bothers me. And it's not like Lydia wouldn't acknowledge it, she just.. wouldn't embrace it. Character acknowledgment and embracement are two entirely different things, imo.

Cuz see, you say if people want more fantasy, they should play it. I do. However when you're surrounded by people who not only don't play it, but sometimes don't even *acknowledge* it it can be a bit vexing, not to mention hurtful at times. In general, I don't feel like Lydia is welcome into the particularly 'modern' crowds, since there's been a scene or two that's occurred and when she, as a magic user, a fantasy character, tries to jump in, me/she either gets steamrolled over, or outright ignored.

So maybe it's not that everyone should omg play fantasy, but mixed genre is about acceptance. If a character were scared of Lydia because of her abilities or magic, that wouldn't bother me. That's acknowledgment of what she is. If a character pretended she wasn't there again and again even when she tries to interact with them because 'magic and elves aren't in their reality'..? That's defeating the point of mixed genre. It'd be like me saying 'no, cars and phones aren't in Lydia's reality', because they are. She just doesn't like them Wink

I don't want pure fantasy to take over, and I don't want the modern/spacers to leave. I like when there's acceptance on either side. I love that there's a modern character who took in one of Elly's pumpkinheads, and acknowledges Elly who's super fantasy and.. nutty. I love that Lydia can tinker with little random modern objects from earth. I love integration.

So I guess, in a nutshell.. it's a refusal of any kind of acknowledgment of the other on either side that bothers me.
Sid
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

Location: In a renovated brownstone in RhyDin's dilapidated WestEnd neighborhood.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lydia Loran wrote:
And cars don't mesh with my personal view of Rhydin. Cars mean gas stations, and pollution and.. the way I envision the streets, cars simply wouldn't work.

First, let me preface this by saying I'm not picking on Lydia's player, this is just a precursor to use for example. ::Smiles.::

Sid rides a '49 Harley-Davidson Panhead. It has no wheels. It's a "Dead Warlock" thing from the Bordertown universe. In that universe when Faerie/Elflands/etc. returned to the World of Man, in this particular spot (a city on the edge and its surrounding areas) where the border bleeds over, magic and tech do not always work and when they work they most often work with twisted, sometimes volatile results.

In the World of Bordertown, many have taken modern items such as motorcycles (cars are a bit more complicated and don't lend themselves well to the modifications so most ride bikes), appliances, lights, things like that and modified them to run with a marriage of tech and magics because neither straight magics or straight tech works right. Sid's bike, for instance, runs off a spellbox when the manna levels are high.

Rhy'Din, unlike Bordertown, has a high level of manna and therefore her ride is almost always on spellbox power. When manna levels dip in places throughout the realm the ride converts back to a combustible engine (she magics the gas needed).

She's converted a blender at the RDI to run by replacing some internal parts with a spellcard and marrying it with the electronics. Whenever she sees a car, cell phone, what have you, she just figures it, too, has some sort of tech/magic combination. Knowing of Stars End existing to the west of Old Town, she is not surprised by modern conveniences. Though, magics act less reliably over in that Sector for her just as tech has a tendency to act strangely in the Old Town district.

See, I came from AOL RP in Rhy'Din. I know that there is a higher tech side to the continent/city because we had Stars End and Gateway Station to play in there and they, too, are located in Rhy'Din (all right, Gateway Station is in orbit above the planet, but you all get what I mean). When I play here I play that the more modern section exists as I always have. It is a part of my characters' reality.

IC wise it is an easy thing for me to see in my mind's eye. Rhy'Din is a Nexus. The Nexus means that beings from all over creation with varying levels of cultural/societal advancements have been stranded on Rhy'Din through a Nexus drop, or come of their own free will, or been exiled to the planet. To me, it makes sense that those of certain advancement levels would congregate in one area together, build and populate it, cohabitate together, and that is why throughout the realm you will find sectors that range from below medieval all the way up to the spaceport in Stars End.

But, this is how I view things and many of the characters I play are urban fantasy based. I've had a lot of experience through the years playing that genre to "think on my feet," as it were (believe me, there have been many tough GMs who've required detailed reasons as to why something can or cannot work ::Grins.:: ), as to how and why modern and fantasy can mix and do justice to both without compromising.

In my opinion, I would not want the RDI or Rhy'Din to be any other way but how it is. The potential, the possibilities for story fodder are endless in a mixed genre like this. I understand those who want a purer setting, whatever that setting may be, and that's fine, too. Sometimes I might enjoy playing in a more structured setting. But, I will always come "home" to Rhy'Din. ::Grins.::

Asylum disciple,
Lord of the wild!
Soul-spinner thriller;
Life's crash-hungry child...
Crystal
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of not feeling welcomed, many of the fantasy type do push aside those that don't fit in with what they are doing too.

In the end that is the real issue, welcoming in those who are different. There comes a time when people do leave because they are very tired of of being pushed aside or left out. The reverse of how Lydia is feeling.

People that don't fit into how other view Rhy'din tend to feel left out. This is true of Sci-fi, Urban or even Fantasy Genre groups.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Inn Open Discussions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: