Dragon's Mark Home
Dragon's Mark

Dragon's Mark and the RDI will be merging into one forum. If you are looking for a place to post and play follow this link: Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Expansion Packs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Inn Open Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panther
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further expand on this a bit...

Anybody can add an "expansion pack" to the overall setting of Rhy'Din. Nothing has ever changed in that respect.

Yes, dozens, maybe hundreds of such additions have been made by players over the years... from simple taverns or neighborhoods up to whole kingdoms.. and if you throw SEB in to the mix even entire planets.

That hasn't changed.

Simply because Dragon's Mark has decided to add one that "we" developed from scratch with a small group of players, this does not change that either.

"Admins" have always added to the overall setting of Rhy'Din from the Duels to Realms of Chance, and even Stars End Bar was "admin created".

My view since the early 90's is that it is the job of the 'administration' to provide solid foundations for the players to build upon. That hasn't changed.

MtY, like Realms of Chance was, is an area built to serve a specific need we saw. A need based on feedback from players.

As far as future expansions... yes... existing settings are being used. Being , shored up I guess. Information from a variety of sources both internal and external are being used to solidify that foundation for existing and future players to continue to build on.

In the case of areas where there is no known creator, our only goal is to pull together some of the existing materials out there, and yes, maybe add a landmark, or npc here and there to flesh things out a bit more.

In some ways, creating new things for this foundation makes more sense because as a site admin, I have to be careful about putting up content created by other players because of copyright concerns. The better approach is to put a few starting pieces up and let the players continue to create their stuff in the forums.

"Even the maggot can serve a purpose in the right circumstance... "
Panther - Overseer of the madhouse that is the Red Dragon Inn.
Tales of the Cat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brian Ravenlock
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

Location: Rhy'Din City / Ravenlock Compound / Valley of Harborage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think this is a great step fowards, and opens an enormous amount of possibilities within Rhy'din and it's player base. I also see no reason why this would not easily fit in along side Rhy'din, especially with all the trade and commerce that exists within Rhy'din.

Now we have another way to expand upon those 'tales of the markets', or 'dockside' and more so. I intend to fully use this in conjunction with 'Yotsuba's Cake Shoppe' which is run by the Urashima family, who have been mainstays in the Market since it's been around. Hopefully others who have commerce based charries from the market to the docks and beyond will try it as well, as it could explain a great deal as far as origins or particular weapons and customs of an asian (and more) nature that haven't been properly explained or expanded upon.

Honestly, the possibilities are endless, and like real life some places are indeed limiting in certain aspects when they are first visited, but after time they doors open, and multi cultural life will flourish. It's all how it is used, or not used. Personally I can't wat to see what may come down the pipe next as far as expansions. Bring it yo!

On another note, just cause Xeno, Amal and Panth aren't around visibly as much as other players, doesn't mean they are not here and hardly discounts their views and or input in regards to Rhy'din and these expansions, and am not saying any partcular parties have discounted their views. In the end, this place is what we make of it, and I hope to see players make something special out of Yasuo and future expansions.
Alex Ravenlock
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do enjoy how this area has been defined. Like Lain said, the moment that I myself can manage to find means of stepping foot in there, I do intend to. It looks awesome.

At the moment, a few too many SLs is holding me back - all of which I would like to finish long before I explore.
Kairee
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with "expansion packs"

The RDI is Nexus Point. Nexus points of fonts of creation. In the Mythos I created back in the day when we were creating the FFGF and making it truly a RP and creative writing/collaborative storytelling environment, worlds are born from here (based on what the users develop) and these worlds grow and flow off forming complete, self supporting entities. Not part of the RDI/Rhy’din but formed from/born of the Nexus Point.

This is a way to account for the changes derived from an ever changing user base AND not to lock the RDI into a set world dominated by only a few....and not open to evolution. Worlds are born, they either surive or not. New worlds come and go and the only constant is the RDI (and SEB and Dueling places...these were the only things ever 'officially' fixed in the mythos created. what happened after Kairee disappeared, I am not certain but would be concerned about having too much "fixed in place")

http://www.realmofrhydin.com/index.php?n=WHAT.NexusPoints

So, conceptually, I have no issue with Pharos Station or Mt. Yasuo. However, in the case of Mt. Yasu, since it is so well formed, it should not be ON Rhy’din but connected, maybe through a portal or being newly born, the crossing to and from Rhy’din towne should be very easy requiring no real thought or focus by the traveler.

Expansion packs are fully compatible with the Nexus concept.

As far as who decides what etc... I think it doesn’t matter who proposes an idea and who puts the effort into its development. Either the site owner (as this site is privately owned) will either agree to put resources to it or not. If the site owner does commit resources to it, then market forces take over. Either people will like it and use it or they won’t. If they don’t the expansion pack will die. If they do like it, we can all say “what a great idea it was!”

If you want a specific themed area/sub-forum/expansion pack and it is not something the site owner feels he wants to put resources in place to support it, you can always create your own website or talk to one of the other free form RP websites out there and pitch them your concept.

Rob has always been open to linking other free form venues to Dragon’s Mark, so interconnectivity isn't an issue.

IMHO, complaints that there isn't enough user input is much to do about nothing. You either like the expansion sites or don't. If you don't, don't play in it or patronize it.

Do I think there should be a more formal way for users of this site to make suggestions for new Expansion Packs and for there to be community input and discussion? Yes, I do. But please understand, just because an expansion pack is suggested dosen't mean it will be accepted.

((admin edited to fix link))

"With Great Power comes Great Boredom."
Panther
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nutshell, the way I approach this is that we (as in admins/staff) are here to provide the foundation for you (the players) to build upon.

MtY may be a bit more defined than some of the other things we add, but that is in part because it is brand new, and was done with some specific goals in mind... but I still believe overall it is very open, and there is lots of room for it to grow as players start adding to it.

Some things we add will have even less... pretty much as simple as a general description, a couple landmarks and NPCs to start with.. and then again, it's up for the players to add on from there, either by tying in existing things or building upon it.

Please keep in mind, we're not trying to step on the toes of anyone/anything that's established. We are very much trying to keep as much of the existing things in mind... but please remember that the RDI and DM in general are growing and we are attracting all levels of players with all levels of exposure to what we do here. One of the main goals of these expansion packs are to help give the newer players something they can build off of right away... without having to spend lots and lots of time going through the forums looking for something that strikes their fancy.

We're hoping this will help organize things in a way that makes it much easier for players new and old to find the 'setting' that they want to be a part of.

"Even the maggot can serve a purpose in the right circumstance... "
Panther - Overseer of the madhouse that is the Red Dragon Inn.
Tales of the Cat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Inn Open Discussions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: