Dragon's Mark Home
Dragon's Mark

Dragon's Mark and the RDI will be merging into one forum. If you are looking for a place to post and play follow this link: Red Dragon Inn

What happened?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Pharos Station Open Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orleon Templeton
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: What happened? Reply with quote

Whatever happened to Pharos Station?
Calix Aleta
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember. Not that many ever used Pharos Station, there was some posting done on it. And rarely any play going on.
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was decent traffic but only a handful of the people who enjoy science fiction roleplay went over there. Then they tried a complete reboot of the system and even less came back. It was a great idea and a fun setting, but it was an isolated setting where you went by what species they posted to play as. Couldn't just come up with anything out of your own head, which may have been a detractor.

I would love to see Pharos come back swinging, just may need a bit of rework on the back end of things to sustain it, perhaps incorporated it into the RDI-verse for more cross-over, even a stronger link to Stars End. Who knows.
Leuni
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were ways one could make up their own species beyond the ones that were initially made up and some people did do that ... just some things were controlled.

Really, there just wasn't enough people playing. I know because I sat in the chats for hours and nobody would show up hardly. Most nights there was no one. Posting boards were more active but even after a time it faded. There just wasn't enough people playing. I think that is why Pharos went down, in my opinion. Just not enough people who wanted to play it.

Perhaps it was the lack of cross over between RDI and Pharos that many didn't like and didn't want to deal with. That and Pharos had its restrictions to the settings where as RDI is basically anything goes.

The setting was just a totally seperate place from the RDI worlds/universe and there was no magic. I kinda liked that fact actually. It made it a different place to play and the circumstances in the world//universe were just different, with no magic persay but we tried to come up with relevent equality to that little element. But alas some people just can't handle playing in a world of some controlled elements.... Too bad too.

I think, though, if it does get interest again... and IF it's decided to make it a part of or extention of the RDI world/universe setting ... then I would hope for a total wipe and clean slate on all story lines, as in dropping (or just not showing) what was done before simply because the world/universe that Pharos was then would be far too different than what it would become should it be connected with RDI settings in any way shape or form.

I'm not stating that as just a player, but as one of the people who put a lot of thought/work into the creation of Pharos to begin with. I would rather it didn't become a part of RDI settings though... (and I know there were other people who felt even stronger about that then I do, people who put even more work into it then i did. Maybe they've changed their mind.) ..... but then I'd hate to see all of that work go completely to waste with no one using it. The added solar systems and worlds plus the species made up were interesting. So then if it does get used with RDI, I'd be okay with it so long as there was a clean slate on the stories. Maybe I'm alone on that. I'm just trying to respect what it was before and how some people felt about the place.
Amaltea
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, we can't really blame the separation of RDI and Pharos. We have the SEB chat which has hosted nights. Barely anyone shows up and people use it when it's not hosted for ... whatever ... as anything else except the Stars End Bar setting. (Remember the logs are public.)

Even the SEB forum section is barely used. I was hoping to see more activity. Would be nice to see those characters that were created for Pharos playing in SEB. Would be even better to see the current spacers spend time in the room actually playing the setting.

One of the things I've thought about to bring interest to SEB is to maybe incorporate some of the Pharos elements: races, star system, etc. Another thing in the works is an SEB shop (should be available sometime this year).

Suggestions are welcome, since we just kinda talked about the incorporation but we haven't started any serious discussions yet.
RDI Toby
DM Admin
DM Admin

Location: Working the Star's End Bar, on board the Lady, or at home with Tabitha and their 4 kids.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been discussion lately about incorporating Pharos elements into the current setting, though only at a brainstorming level.

I agree that it is a shame to let it all go to waste, on one hand. However, we have hosts in SEB on Tuesday and Wednesday, and have previously had Sunday and Monday. Since restarting a permanent hosting position in Star's End in late 2010, I have not seen very much interest from the spacer community.

As Amal pointed out, too many people just use it as a 'blank slate' setting for whatever ship or location tehy are playing in. Now we are working to remedy this by installing more hosted nights, but the spacer community needs to step up as well and use it. And as also mentioned, the forums are woefully underutilized.

Come on out, guys - we know you're there.
Sylus Kurgen
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It perhaps doesn't help that among the playerbase there are a few whom disapprove of the "modern" aspects becoming more prevalent in the RDI setting. Not sure if it is just among the "older" veteran players who want to see the setting return to a more medieval way. Just a side thought that may have some reaching aspect.

As stated above. I loved Pharos. I hope it was clear in my posts as Sylus the Space Pirate, Pharos Sports Network, and my character on the Reaver project.
Mileena
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed my time there too. I have Several Sci-fi based Chars I can bring over.
Leuni
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaltea wrote:
(Remember the logs are public.)

For some reason that just made me giggle. Laughing

Sylus Kurgen wrote:
It perhaps doesn't help that among the playerbase there are a few whom disapprove of the "modern" aspects becoming more prevalent in the RDI setting.

True. Still, it all boils to the same thing really... some just don't want to bend and blend. Which, really, I think is needed in a melting pot scenario like what RhyDin has become. How else can a scenario like that be played by all if it doesn't include all aspects.. medevial (RDI Inn) and spacey (SEB)?? I think Pharos showed a way to controll aspects and play seperate from that melting pot scenario. If there are some who want strictly medeival setting, why don't they go make an area for medeival like pharos was for spacey? Confused

Yeah, I kinda miss that crazy 'ol pirate too. Wink Miss a lot of things about Pharos.

RDI Toby wrote:
Come on out, guys - we know you're there.

Wish I had more time to BE there. I couldn't be relied on for anything like hosting. (See if that announcement doesn't bring the others out of hiding) Though I have some characters I can bring over and perhaps help on forum boards, but I think I need to have that clean slate/wipe from the storylines that were done in Pharos. I think.. I don't know. kinda torn about it actually. I don't like wiping, in fact I really hate it.

I just keep thinking about the posts from the Pharos area and what if they were to show up. Some had been using the same screen name to play totally different characters from one area (RDI) to the next (Pharos) and even as different as species and opposite sex. So if the posts showed up some people might get confused... namely me. Shocked

I know, I know... shut up and stop agonizing, right? maybe I just need a hug... Cool
Alain DeMuer
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we end up picking up another host at some point or expanding the schedule, what about a weekend shift? I can only speak for myself here, but I know that since my playtime's drastically reduced over the last several years mostly I do it on the weekend. If it looks like we might be able to pick up another hosted evening at the SEB we could always do a community poll to see what people would like to see the most.

And what about dueling crossover events? The Arena & Annex Remodel was a lot of fun and brought in a lot of different settings but I think most of those were player-created -- I don't think SEB was used, but maybe it could be used in a future dueling event? Thoughts?
Sylus Kurgen
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leuni wrote:
I know, I know... shut up and stop agonizing, right? maybe I just need a hug... :cool:

+toast+

We have players who like science fiction and play space-aged characters. However I think the group that are really into that is a small number, or only a handful actually play together for whatever reason. Pharos could be brought back, but I think its only connection to RDI-Verse should be SEB. Like there's a jump-gate there.

Like Leuni pointed out, the characters used on Pharos in many cases were radically different than what those same SN's are on RDI. Yes I can see RDI characters meeting their Pharos counterparts in a weird alternate reality play, but the SN's are the headache for that.

Sylus the Isoran Pirate was 5'3 and went around wearing a Muskateer hat and wore a kilt, and Current trained. A far cry from the one in Rhydin lol
CM
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Or like me... This name here is for a girl in RDI setting and the counter with same screen name is a guy in Pharos. I just now... like now now... made up a new screen name for him and will bring the character into RDI but if those old posts show up... Heh. Laughing

Perhaps we could all use Sylus suggestion of a portal/jumpgate thing. It would be great if some people could get together and play out a story line that would show that happening. I know one character who already has a Jumpgate floating in space above RhyDin. It would not be inconcievable for someone to make that gate to Pharos happen. The big question would just be why. I think a good story line would be fun to play all that out with.
RDI Helix
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain DeMuer wrote:
If we end up picking up another host at some point or expanding the schedule, what about a weekend shift? I can only speak for myself here, but I know that since my playtime's drastically reduced over the last several years mostly I do it on the weekend. If it looks like we might be able to pick up another hosted evening at the SEB we could always do a community poll to see what people would like to see the most.

And what about dueling crossover events? The Arena & Annex Remodel was a lot of fun and brought in a lot of different settings but I think most of those were player-created -- I don't think SEB was used, but maybe it could be used in a future dueling event? Thoughts?

Up until the first of Feburary I was hosting every Sunday night. I stopped because hardly anyone ever showed up to play and I needed a short break. Starting the 22nd of March I'll be picking up Friday nights, and perhaps the occasional Saturday as well.
RDI Toby
DM Admin
DM Admin

Location: Working the Star's End Bar, on board the Lady, or at home with Tabitha and their 4 kids.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to get weekend hosts for Star's End but every host I've trained so far with the exception of Sissy has been determined to host the Inn. And even those always tell me that RL prevents them from a weekend hosting shift. Helix is looking to do Friday nights, so that's a start.

As Helix also pointed out, she has hosted Sunday nights for quite a long time now.

And during the week we have had Monday shifts (which were dead empty, so I moved to Tuesday), Tuesday, and Wednesday.

I reiterate from my previous post - there's folders and the SEB chat room available, I'm still waiting to see people make use of them for something besides a faux PR when a host isn't there.
Sylus Kurgen
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is somewhat of a half thought...

What about a generic room "Pharos Station" and a subfolder on the SEB section that is for Pharos rather than an entirely separate site? Just to start. It seems as though an interest is still here for the setting, just need perhaps a catalyst. There is only a handful, and the more I talk on the subject the more I believe it is so, of people actually interested in the space side of things.

Pharos got a good turn out at first because it was NEW, but what happened when the novelty wore off? Things began to slow down. Then came along the Reaver story line and things picked up again with a nice sized dramatic adventure. Again, something new but then parts wore off and everything went back to same ol' same. Part of me thinks SEB and Pharos after it may need a figure like RDI Amber who is always throwing events, not just Talking Head Ned. Perhaps a futuristic kind of dueling system? Instead of magical wards they use regenerative vats/salves/injections?

SEB needs a continuous draw, I think.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Pharos Station Open Discussions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: