Dragon's Mark Home
Dragon's Mark

Dragon's Mark and the RDI will be merging into one forum. If you are looking for a place to post and play follow this link: Red Dragon Inn

When making a character...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> The Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuori Helston
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: When making a character... Reply with quote

What drives your decision making process? What are the inspirations that guide your minds towards the characters specifics?

Using this to have a general conversation. There are hundreds of different character types being both played and NPC'd, where'd the ideas for them come from? I know several of our older players brought there toys from AOL and other such chats, what about the young-bloods? Why are your characters the way they are?

I know for me? I love to tell a good story, I love to challenge myself to play something I couldn't hope to empathize with, I love pulling up my spreadsheet of characters and going... "What haven't I tried to play yet?"

Of all the characters I have, Kuori is both challenging to play because of her self-consciousness about her own body clashing with her training as a warrior which can't leave place for doubt. On top of that is her interactions with individuals like Kitty, Khoom, Chris, and so many others who accept her without judgement. However there are times where it gets to..."how far can this story go?", how would OOC knowledge about her transgendered nature alter IC interactions?

What about the rest of you? What thoughts guide your creative hands?
Crowe Thorne
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me....I don't know at times, I guess I like to delve into different personas of myself? Maybe make the more rash, thick-headed character, like Crowe, or the more shy, nervous one, like another of my characters....Sometimes it depends on my moods, or what currently interests me at the time, like with Crowe I was into...the furry fandom very briefly and vaguely, though I did quite enjoy it!
Claire Gallows
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

Location: The Sassy Owl Saloon or Underwood Manor in New Haven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It varies for me. I get lost in my own head sometimes and while I'm there, I ponder some strange stuff. So thus characters are born. Sometimes they come from worlds made by others, ones that intrigue me and pull me in and make me want to explore them further with my own writing, or they come from the weird spots in my mind that produce random ideas.

Some end up working out, others don't. Not all of the ideas pan out unfortunately, but sometimes it's worth a try!

As far as the process for once the character is made, I try to put myself in their shoes to write solely from their perspective which means stepping out of my comfort zone rather frequently to get into their minds instead of my own.
A deity without divine power
Kuori Helston
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crowe Thorne wrote:
With me....I don't know at times, I guess I like to delve into different personas of myself? Maybe make the more rash, thick-headed character, like Crowe, or the more shy, nervous one, like another of my characters....Sometimes it depends on my moods, or what currently interests me at the time, like with Crowe I was into...the furry fandom very briefly and vaguely, though I did quite enjoy it!

I've played lycanthropes, but haven't played anything that was strictly in the furry domain of play.

I want to say that a lot of characters are created to emulate an archtype individual players are fascinated by, but at the same time, I understand there are many who merely make something because they were either dared to do it (which I've done before), and others are out of a flight of fancy.

Claire Farron wrote:
It varies for me. I get lost in my own head sometimes and while I'm there, I ponder some strange stuff. So thus characters are born. Sometimes they come from worlds made by others, ones that intrigue me and pull me in and make me want to explore them further with my own writing, or they come from the weird spots in my mind that produce random ideas.

Some end up working out, others don't. Not all of the ideas pan out unfortunately, but sometimes it's worth a try!

As far as the process for once the character is made, I try to put myself in their shoes to write solely from their perspective which means stepping out of my comfort zone rather frequently to get into their minds instead of my own.

Between what Crowe wrote, and what you've put here...it sounds like you both come from similar places in what spurs the characters you make. An internal look at yourselves. This might be true of everyone, but that's hard to determine.

I know that I have a handful of characters that, in making them, I got excited to bring them out and stretch their legs, get them to interact with others....and they pretty much have been ignored in live play. That in itself has killed my fondness for play at times. Bringing a character into the room that I've never seen played live before, or didn't read about in any of the running story-lines...and there's little to no reaction from the room. Like there's this jaded mentality within the IC setting. Not sure if that's really a thing, or just in my head, but it's killed my energies to try and make fun stories or engage with new partners.

Bit of a tangent there, sorry. I always get excited when I see a new character come into rooms like the Inn for play, and try to interact with them and actively engage in the setting if I can. That want often gets easily derailed by a room full of small groups coming off as self-absorbed in their own personalized play with each other. I hate signing on to play, and it's like these five or six groups in the room have horse-blinds on to anyone they aren't immediately playing with.

Then a character like Jewell, or Brian, or Gem, or Sal, or Darcy comes in...and suddenly the blinders are off and the room is in free-for-all. What is it about these characters that, their mere, IC presence changes the climate of the room so drastically? Maybe it's like a high school dance...Where the boys are on one end of the gym and the girls on the other. And then it's not until the popular kids start dancing together that everyone realizes it's okay and starts dancing. Not saying this is a bad thing, just find it fascinating how a room can have 10-15 people playing in little groups of 2-3, or 3-4, kind of semi-isolated in this booth or at that table, or at an end of the bar, then these well known, long-standing, and known to acknowledge and play with anyone come in and the paradigm of the room shifts.

Characters like this I've seen called "Party-Starters". Were these characters designed that way by the players, or did they become that way through their long years of play as a continual evolutionary process?
Dracina Hemdagg
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said to you personally, Dracina was much like that with certain guilds back in the old days on AOL. It just seemed to happen on its own. I haven't really attempted to see if I could replicate it here since I don't really enter the chat that often. My recent activity as Mint has just been a fluke since I've gotten really unexpected chemistry with Arts on that character.
Andu Kirost
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings.
For me, Character creation is usually based on one of two things. The need for a character for a specific purpose, ie, Andu's TechMage, One of his sentient magic items. Or a spark of insperation that strikes out of the blue. That spark can come from a song, a book, a show or movie, or even just a comment some one makes.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with new characters, Dracina (?). Unfortunatly, there do seem to be "cliques". It is a simple fact that it is real easy to get wrapped up in your interaction with one small group in the Inn, especially when there are lots of people in the Inn. From what I've seen, it seems to me that the more people there are in the Inn, the easier it is for people to get caught up in their already existing groups. Part of this, I suspect, is because the more people there are, and the more active they are, the harder it is to keep up with all the posts. So people start skimming, reading fully only what their group posts, not because they are being cliquish, but because they just can't keep up with what their character is already involved with any other way.

As far as carachters like Jewell, Brian, Gem, Sal... I believe it is more about the history of those characters; which have involved people from "walks of life" that they would normally be likely to interact with. For ones like Darcy it is a matter of Hyper activity and Hyper gregariousness, some times it would be harder to avoid interacting with her than to do so.
Dracina Hemdagg
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andu Kirost wrote:

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with new characters, Dracina (?).

No, no. I'm fine. No bad experiences here. Should I clarify?

As I was stating to GentleRestraint's player both privately and here, Dracina was a "party starter" of sorts in some of the guilds she was in way back on AOL years ago.

I just don't go into the chat here all too often because of other projects I have (like writing books and trying to get them published). Mint Darkwind's frequent appearances in the RDI chat recently have been an exception because of an unexpected chemistry she's been having with Artsblood.

Still, I should probably get started on my next project.... Confused
Ebon Ilnaren
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracina Hemdagg wrote:
My recent activity as Mint has just been a fluke since I've gotten really unexpected chemistry with Arts on that character.

Sometimes that does happen, when two characters just find chemistry in some form or another, and everything just clicks.

I have two types of characters myself: the ones there are facets of myself, and the ones that support the stories of the first group. Sometimes the supporting characters take on a life of their own, though. Smile
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion....
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebon Ilnaren wrote:

Sometimes that does happen, when two characters just find chemistry in some form or another, and everything just clicks.

I have two types of characters myself: the ones there are facets of myself, and the ones that support the stories of the first group. Sometimes the supporting characters take on a life of their own, though. Smile

When that chemistry happens, no matter how long one has been playing, it's like being given a gift that you've hoped for a long time.

I have played several different types of characters over the years. Many have based in folklore like the fey or a variety of mythological pantheons. Much like Ebon, I have characters that are facets of myself. I also have characters that are who I might like to have been if I was being written into a story. It's rather like the premise of Inkheart where the person reading the story aloud helps bring it to life and evolve.
Johnny Storm
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What drives your decision making process? What are the inspirations that guide your minds towards the characters specifics?

I play and write for a multitude of characters here, though only a small handful are ever seen in public. For me, this is a way to explore the characters in my head who are clamoring to be given life. Very few of them are anything like myself. I have found playing characters like myself is boring. I already live that life. Why would I want to duplicate it here?

What I want from role-play is a good story. I want a story that's a mix of adventure, romance, tragedy, and triumph. I always strive for a happy ending, but it usually takes a while to get there, and even those characters who seem settled and happy usually have some sort of conflict going on that they need to resolve.

Inspiration comes from many places. Some characters are inspired by TV shows, movies, books, etc., as is the case with Johnny. The Fantastic Four comics were my favorite as a kid, and Johnny Storm was my favorite superhero growing up.

I have a mix of what's known as "canon characters" and "original characters" (OC). Most of my characters are original characters who popped into my head, along with some story they wanted told. For me, there's an entirely different character development process between canons and OCs, and I wouldn't necessarily say that one is any easier than the other.

With canons, the character already has an established background and history from which you can draw on. Though I try to stay as true to the original character as possible, it's fun to toss them into situations and encounters they'd never have had a chance to explore in their original setting.

The challenge in playing a canon character is trying to remain as true as possible to the character's concept and history. The challenge in playing an OC is that you have to make all that stuff up on your own. With an OC, it usually takes a few times playing a character before I find that character's "voice" and before the character's back story starts making itself known.

Though the process is different for each, both are equally rewarding, and I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other. And I rambled a bit there. Sorry! But I hope that answers your questions, at least as far as my characters are concerned. Smile
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracina Hemdagg wrote:
Andu Kirost wrote:

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with new characters, Dracina (?).

No, no. I'm fine. No bad experiences here. Should I clarify?

As I was stating to GentleRestraint's player both privately and here, Dracina was a "party starter" of sorts in some of the guilds she was in way back on AOL years ago.

I just don't go into the chat here all too often because of other projects I have (like writing books and trying to get them published). Mint Darkwind's frequent appearances in the RDI chat recently have been an exception because of an unexpected chemistry she's been having with Artsblood.

Still, I should probably get started on my next project.... Confused

Okay, having properly experimented with this, I seem to have lost any existing skill I once had at... "party starting." It seems that all I can manage is the attention of a maximum of three other people in a room. This is a dramatic decrease of what I used to be able to pull off way back in the old AOL days.

Heck, I've even thrown Dracina, my old reliable, into the chat a couple times recently and she was virtually invisible (despite her presence as one of the two Big Bads in the Scathachian SL). This is most distressing... grabbing attention used to be so effortless for me back in the day. Neutral
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people say that you should write about what you know. I tend to create characters that are a mix of what I know and what would I like to learn.

Dracina Hemdagg wrote:

Okay, having properly experimented with this, I seem to have lost any existing skill I once had at... "party starting." It seems that all I can manage is the attention of a maximum of three other people in a room. This is a dramatic decrease of what I used to be able to pull off way back in the old AOL days.

Heck, I've even thrown Dracina, my old reliable, into the chat a couple times recently and she was virtually invisible (despite her presence as one of the two Big Bads in the Scathachian SL). This is most distressing... grabbing attention used to be so effortless for me back in the day. Neutral

I have been trying to put into words my own observations about party starting. Times, people, methods of RP, and tolerance levels for certain types of play have changed over the years. There's party starting and party crashing. It depends on one's perspective.

Some time ago, I believe it was Lanette (the player of Ldy Belial) that referred to taking the temperature of the play in progress in a room before initiating a scene. I don't recall her exact words. As with most things in FFRP, it boils down to courtesy.

To expand on your example, I realize that some characters are villains and far from easy to play. However, having a character that's a big bad in one SL doesn't mean any characters outside that SL or their players will know or recognize that. Sometimes, we have to reestablish or expand a character's reputation.

Bottom line: After twenty years of online FFRP, I have noticed that one of the quickest ways to have a character ignored is to try to start a different party when one is already in progress.
Karnafexx
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been around in the RDI and DoS for about a year in 1994 when
I realized there was a lack of antagonists. Not a truly evil character, just
a wise ass so I took the basis for my character from a character in my favorite
book series at the time and made him my own.

It took a while for the room to adjust to the added element but eventually the
would seek out interaction and conflict with me. I just had to regularly make it known through IM or emails that it was IC and never OOC because sometimes things got carried away Smile
JewellRavenlock
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karnafexx wrote:
I had been around in the RDI and DoS for about a year in 1994 when
I realized there was a lack of antagonists. Not a truly evil character, just
a wise ass so I took the basis for my character from a character in my favorite
book series at the time and made him my own.

It took a while for the room to adjust to the added element but eventually the
would seek out interaction and conflict with me. I just had to regularly make it known through IM or emails that it was IC and never OOC because sometimes things got carried away Smile

Sometimes it just takes a while to establish/re-establish a character as well.

When I brought Jewell back two years ago, I had a very difficult time interacting with her in the room. I felt invisible. I realized I had to be more interactive. I had to:
    1) Start responding to IC-action invitations to play. Say for example a character spills a drink or trips; that is an invitation to the room to interact with that person! That person is looking for someone to respond to that action, so it might as well be me Smile
    2) I had to extend invitations for people to interact with me. This doesn't mean you have to have your character just walk up to people and start talking to them. I know that doesn't work for plenty of people if the characters are not outgoing. What you can do, though, is throw little hooks out into play. Have your character react to something someone else is saying/doing (like snorting or rolling your eyes if someone says something dumb) or act in such a way that invites play (knocking something over, jumping because you see a spider).
Dracina Hemdagg
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:

I have been trying to put into words my own observations about party starting. Times, people, methods of RP, and tolerance levels for certain types of play have changed over the years. There's party starting and party crashing. It depends on one's perspective.

Some time ago, I believe it was Lanette (the player of Ldy Belial) that referred to taking the temperature of the play in progress in a room before initiating a scene. I don't recall her exact words. As with most things in FFRP, it boils down to courtesy.

To expand on your example, I realize that some characters are villains and far from easy to play. However, having a character that's a big bad in one SL doesn't mean any characters outside that SL or their players will know or recognize that. Sometimes, we have to reestablish or expand a character's reputation.

Bottom line: After twenty years of online FFRP, I have noticed that one of the quickest ways to have a character ignored is to try to start a different party when one is already in progress.

This almost seems accusatory in a blanket manner. Because I actually rarely do something disruptive (last night an exception that actually worked quite satisfactorily, so there apparently is a time and place for random events—i.e. town meetings where politicians are saying something important). But usually I try to insert myself into other RPs with visual cues such as said here:

JewellRavenlock wrote:

When I brought Jewell back two years ago, I had a very difficult time interacting with her in the room. I felt invisible. I realized I had to be more interactive. I had to:
    1) Start responding to IC-action invitations to play. Say for example a character spills a drink or trips; that is an invitation to the room to interact with that person! That person is looking for someone to respond to that action, so it might as well be me :)
    2) I had to extend invitations for people to interact with me. This doesn't mean you have to have your character just walk up to people and start talking to them. I know that doesn't work for plenty of people if the characters are not outgoing. What you can do, though, is throw little hooks out into play. Have your character react to something someone else is saying/doing (like snorting or rolling your eyes if someone says something dumb) or act in such a way that invites play (knocking something over, jumping because you see a spider).

It is a little worrisome how often such cues of mine go unacknowledged in the room these days.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> The Round Table All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: