Dragon's Mark Home
Dragon's Mark

Dragon's Mark and the RDI will be merging into one forum. If you are looking for a place to post and play follow this link: Red Dragon Inn

Hosts Program
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Inn Open Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perceval Tucker
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sad when I read that the Hosting program had ended, most probably and primarily for nostalgic reasons. I have no doubt it was a difficult decision.

So a few things that hit me as important points, and I apologize for not quoting the person(s) who suggested them…

In a perfect world, we would all be “Hosts” of some sort or another whenever we play. This would be great and would leave us without having a need (or perceived need) for actual Hosts. This, however, is not a perfect world. Wish in one hand and poop in the other....see which one fills up first. I'm not suggesting that a "Host" as they were is the answer, but something.

Currently, with the universal understanding that there are no real character Tenders anymore, it does feel as if the RDI is simply an unmanned, self-sustaining bar where you have to pour your own drink. Yes, we can use NPC Tenders but it pales in comparison to the real thing. Not to mention the feeling of being greeted, noticed and waited on when you get there. Having a Tender or Host there keeps the Inn ‘alive'.

If the Administrators of the site feel that Hosting should be revisited, I believe that the Host’s number one priority is to help get new players involved and help them get their feet wet. Obviously there are other facets here but I feel that this is paramount. If the new filters work as well as everyone is suggesting, then not having to read every post for content and naughty words would be a heck of a load off for the Hosts.

Burnout needs to be addressed. Perhaps polling past Hosts with a survey of some sort to find out what caused them burnout and on the flip side, what made Hosting fun and exciting for them (like the idea of being able to tag-team as hosts). Feeding off of one another is a great way to promote teamwork and keep the beat moving along.

I love this place. I really do. I believe that there are more people willing to be Hosts than anyone is aware. In my opinion, being able to "give back" to the place that gives us all so many emotional rides should be the best and most noble reason to Host. I refuse to believe that this community does not have people like this in abundance.
Andu Kirost
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::points up at the post right above his, and then at others.::

Maybe that is an idea? If/when hosts are brought back, make it the "rule of thumb" rather than the exception that Hosts work in pairs. Of course there "might" be a need to dis-allow any "honeymoon" couples , but any other combination (shades of Felix and Oscar anyone?) that can work together, OOCly, could be acceptable. As they say, two headds are better than one. That's twice the chance of some one not getting lost in then scroll, or having a single tender monopolized by some one and leaving the bar untended.

Just an idea from a short-circuiting mind.

Uncle Andu
BW
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a little confusion, so let me clear it up.

No decision has been made yet. None. We (the Admins) haven't even gone over the question in serious detail yet, all that's been done is to put this thread up to gather people's feelings about the possible restoration of the program.

Nothing has been decided, contrary to what people seem to think. Everyone's opinion is being heard, that's the whole purpose of this thread.

--BW
Xennoce
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaltea wrote:
My intention is to bring some sort of Host program.

BW wrote:
There seems to be a little confusion, so let me clear it up.

No decision has been made yet. None. We (the Admins) haven't even gone over the question in serious detail yet, all that's been done is to put this thread up to gather people's feelings about the possible restoration of the program.

Nothing has been decided, contrary to what people seem to think. Everyone's opinion is being heard, that's the whole purpose of this thread.

--BW

Sooooo....which is it? Because these are two fairly contradictory statements. This started out asking us for our opinions and then quickly turned into - at least to me - a feeling of, "We're bringing it back. Period."

Last edited by Xennoce on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BW
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intent is there, that does not mean it has been decided. As I said, that's why this thread was put up - to gather the community's input (positive and negative) about that intention.

But right now, no decision has been made. You may believe me or not as you like.
Amaltea
DM Admin
DM Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the question because I noticed the decline in the RDI chat. Thought it could be because there are no hosts. I've heard, before posting the question, that some people were not happy with the decision of removing the hosts and have stopped visiting the RDI room. Of course there are others that are either happy or really don't care if there is a host or not. There really is no majority on either group and as you all know, we can't make everyone happy.

This was just me, not the whole admin team, asking the question.

Do I want the hosts back? Yes. I'm not going to lie about this.

Are we bringing them back? I don't know. This is something that still needs to be discussed between the admin team.

One thing is for sure, if the Hosts do come back, it won't be in the same capacity as before. It will be a different program.
Murelle GreyMantle
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Hosts Reply with quote

To be honest I miss hosting. I get to know other players and I enjoy interacting with them. I was disappointed when the hosting play was discontinued.
Murelle GreyMantle
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hosts Reply with quote

Murelle GreyMantle wrote:
To be honest I miss hosting. I get to know other players and I enjoy interacting with them. I was disappointed when the hosting play was discontinued.

What do you mean it will be different? I loved hosting, it kept the room interesting. Sure I had my share of problems, but I just blew it off as the player was young and inexperienced. Of course there were those who where a pain in the butt. They were not the exception to the rule.
Murelle GreyMantle
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: One more thing Reply with quote

As I said before, I loved hosting. I enjoyed rping with those in the inn. I hope you bring it back. Again I said it was a time I enjoyed and I really mean it when I say please bring it back.
Murelle GreyMantle
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: I couldn't agree more, well said. Reply with quote

Perceval Tucker wrote:
I was sad when I read that the Hosting program had ended, most probably and primarily for nostalgic reasons. I have no doubt it was a difficult decision.

So a few things that hit me as important points, and I apologize for not quoting the person(s) who suggested them…

In a perfect world, we would all be “Hosts” of some sort or another whenever we play. This would be great and would leave us without having a need (or perceived need) for actual Hosts. This, however, is not a perfect world. Wish in one hand and poop in the other....see which one fills up first. I'm not suggesting that a "Host" as they were is the answer, but something.

Currently, with the universal understanding that there are no real character Tenders anymore, it does feel as if the RDI is simply an unmanned, self-sustaining bar where you have to pour your own drink. Yes, we can use NPC Tenders but it pales in comparison to the real thing. Not to mention the feeling of being greeted, noticed and waited on when you get there. Having a Tender or Host there keeps the Inn ‘alive'.

If the Administrators of the site feel that Hosting should be revisited, I believe that the Host’s number one priority is to help get new players involved and help them get their feet wet. Obviously there are other facets here but I feel that this is paramount. If the new filters work as well as everyone is suggesting, then not having to read every post for content and naughty words would be a heck of a load off for the Hosts.

Burnout needs to be addressed. Perhaps polling past Hosts with a survey of some sort to find out what caused them burnout and on the flip side, what made Hosting fun and exciting for them (like the idea of being able to tag-team as hosts). Feeding off of one another is a great way to promote teamwork and keep the beat moving along.

I love this place. I really do. I believe that there are more people willing to be Hosts than anyone is aware. In my opinion, being able to "give back" to the place that gives us all so many emotional rides should be the best and most noble reason to Host. I refuse to believe that this community does not have people like this in abundance.
Murelle GreyMantle
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perceval Tucker wrote:

Quote:
"Murelle GreyMantle" I couldn't agree more. I miss tending. I loved interacting with others and getting to know different characters. It wasn't always a bed of roses, but by and large I enjoyed it.
Murelle GreyMantle
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulissurn wrote:
The spirit and the idea of an RDI host evolved into, and I agree with it being said here, to interact and get the RP going.

But I also want us all to think about that.

Why did we, a collection of role players, need someone else to shoulder the burden of getting us to write together?

Someone to watch the room for rule breaking? Sure! But someone to be there just to hold our hands and go, "ok, now yoooou say hi to this person and yoooou say hi to that person..." I dunno, call me old and crusty and grumpy and unicorn princess queen kitten, but I kinda think having our RP handed to us on a platter is not helpin' the situation. Not to mention those darn new kids on our lawn.

That's our damn job as a community member, plain and simple. If you want to rp, you need to rp.

I for one, (as Ex-Host Risa Jones) am happy about the decision, because no host can include 10-35+ people at all times. No host that I have watched over the years, myself included, could RP to every single thing in the room. No host can truly carry out their own personal story lines without someone getting accidentally missed (I have seen this so many times.)

So in the end, I like it. People were finding it stressful. The more people not having a stressful RP experience, the happier the RP people.

This Opinion Was Brought To You By An Old Person That Hasn't RPed In A Few Years And Should Be Taken With a Grain of Salt ©

As long as people can point out anyone that pops up behind the bar now is not officially affiliated with the website and moderator/admin team, that is, keep on keepin' on.

Quote:
Oh yeah there were times I was overwhelmed. But more than once someone would come behind the bar and help me out. Back in the days of AOL I tended in the Stars End Bar. It was always busy. It's a shame it's not as popular as it was. I love interacting with other players and miss the hosting program.
Murelle GreyMantle
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seirichi wrote:
Simple.

If you would like to host, ask to host if it's coming back.
If you don't want to host, don't.
If you want to play and act like hosts matter, as is your personal choice, play with them.
If you don't, don't.

As for being more welcoming to new players. It goes both ways. Don't play a character who has a lack of emotion, a wall flower, or a dark brooding person, since all of these require others to put in more effort to get your character out of their shell. If you want to interact, do it as you would in real life, just interact with others and be the one to initiate. It's as simple as playing a character that's more bubbly. I've been in hosted rooms where all I'd get is a hello once my name popped in and that's it, but I didn't care since the host was either busy or doing something else. If you're in need of validation then that is an issue for yourself and not everyone else around you. So yeah, TL;DR: If you want attention, play something that's more friendly and outgoing.

Or play a man with a sexy no-shirt pic in your profile since 90% of the female ERP hounds on this site will jump on you no matter how your character acts, brooding or not. EZ.

Quote:
Or play a man with a sexy no-shirt pic in your profile since 90% of the female ERP hounds on this site will jump on you no matter how your character acts, brooding or not. EZ.
LOL
Murelle GreyMantle
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaltea wrote:
I understand what you mean, but I know the Community Events folder can be used to plan and advertise their events. Maybe a thread can be started for ideas/suggestions for events.

Quote:
I like that idea.
Murelle GreyMantle
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy Mitford wrote:
I actually don't think events are what is missing from the host program. We actually seem to have quite a lot of events thanks to the hard work and interest of so many people here who contribute time and energy to seasonal events, like Fright Night and the Yule Ball and Beltane, as well as just more discrete events like the new Rumor Has It bar opening, the Date Auction, the Governor's Cage Match, Fashion Week opening night, BoozeFest etc.

Further, events geared specifically towards new players are unlikely to help them integrate into the community, either in-character or out-of-character, since such events will single them out and have limited appeal to long-term players who are not necessarily interested in playing with people outside of their circle (as some in this thread have indicated).

To clarify and reiterate my comment earlier in the thread when I said that I think we lost a sense of place when we lost the host program---I think we lost the feeling of a familiar, local tavern setting where you recognize the bartenders, where some of them know your name, where they know your drink order, where faces are familiar, where if you're looking for conversation the bartender can introduce you to the new person who just sat down a couple bar stools down, or where if you just want to hang out with your friends you can grab a table or a booth or camp out on one end of the bar and just do your own thing.

The bar tenders, the hosts, that I remember being great, in the way that I think Jochin was describing and Mallory too, made the Red Dragon Inn a real breathing space just by working behind the bar and talking to those people who wanted to be spoken with. They put on their aprons, and wiped down the bar, cleaned glasses, dropped tips in the orphan's fund jar, picked-up messages from their cubbies, held items behind the bar for other characters to pick-up, helped people check into a room by having them sign a register, etc. It was a real place. And by creating this real space, they created opportunities for characters to interact with each other.

When I go to my local pub, I'm not looking for crafts nights, or a pie-eating contest, or anything like that. I'm looking for a familiar face who knows my name, smiles when they spot me at the bar, and occasionally introduces me to someone new. When the host program was working best, in my opinion, that's all it needed to be doing.

ETA: To make things crystal clear, I think a low key, consistent program like this will go a longer way to integrating and welcoming new chars and players than any mentorship-style or direct out-reach program will.

Quote:
When I tended I would bring in munchies and pizza. No one seemed to mind, in fact they had fun with it. I find food would work as a catalyst for good rp.
I understand not everyone appreciates it but by and large it made for great fun and good rp.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Inn Open Discussions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: